Skip to main content
Welcome
About Us
Women's Ministry
Ministries
2014
2015
2016
2017
2018
2019
Archives
Sermons
Weekly_Bulletin
News
Calendar
Photos 2012
Photos 2013
Photos 2015
In Memory
Archives
Photo Album
Bible Trivia
Bible Resources
Links
Contact Us
Archives
Message Board
Contact Us 

252-637-3520 (Home)
252-571-1882 (Cell)

Jones' Bay Holiness Church....The Beginning
 
In 1924, two Hobucken families started what we know today as New Vision Pentecostal Holiness Church.  Cecil Styron, Sr., and Jimmy Swindell, Sr. began holding cottage prayer meetings in their homes.  In spite of some opposition, the movement quickly grew and in April of 1924, they organized as the Jones' bay Holiness Church.  Soon, they were meeting in homes both in Hobucken and Lowland, often holding meetings and revivals in the other churches of the communities.

In 1926, the church was accepted into the Washington district of the North Carolina Pentecostal Holiness Conference.  The Conference Minutes for 1926 list the church as Hobucken - Mission Point - organized September 1, 1926.  The statistical table states 8 members with an average attendance of 40 in Prayer Service and 34 in Evangelistic Service.  Over the next few years, it is named part-time as Jones' Bay and sometimes as Hobucken and thereafter appears as Hobucken until 1988, when it started listing as New Vision.  Known charter members were Cecil Styron, Sr., Jimmy & Rosa Swindell, Maggie Henries, Etta Ireland, Fate Lewis, Gertie Alcock, Lela Sadler, and Effie Sadler joined soon after.

The land for the original church was donated by Ruff Alcock and his wife.  A deed for a 35 yard by 35 yard lot down the road from the present church, was signed on April 20, 1933 and the work on the building was started the next spring.  William (Bill) Henries, F. Lewis and others from the Island and from the Springs Creek Church donated timber.  The logs were cut at the Walter Barnett saw mill in Hobucken.  John Davis hauled the boards from the mill and stacked it to dry.

Both men and women canvassed Hobucken and Lowland and surrounding communities for donations.  Many, unable to give money, gave of what they did have (chickens, eggs, etc.) to be converted into money.  Tithes were used to help purchase things like nails, windows and doors.

With the men working as often as they could, the white weather-board building was soon completed and roofed with hand-made shingles.  Cecil Ormond of Vanceboro donated the first pews.  Years later, his grandson Robert, would become pastor of the church.  Reverend Jerome Hodges held the first services in the new building in 1934.  Some years later, the roof was tinned and two classrooms were added.

On the night of March 17, 1965, a tornado lifted the church from it's foundation, damaging it beyond repair. (Notice the front steps of the church in proximinity to the front double doors.)  Luckily, it was just sturdy enough that services could be held inside until a new building could be erected.

Hobucken Pentecostal Holiness....A New Beginning
 
On March 25, 1965, another lot was purchased from Carl Alcock, Sr.  Donations came in from the conference, and from communities and friends both near and far.  Soon, Reverend Jimmy Cole Williams was laying blocks and under the direction of Reverends John Smith and Harold Lewis, the remaining work was completed.  February 23, 1969, Pastor Lee Toler and Conference Superintendent, J. Donner Lee dedicated the new building to God.  The new church had 3 classrooms and 2 restrooms.  Over the years, a fellowship hall and more classrooms were built onto the church.  (See picture below).

On September 15, 1999 during Hurricane Floyd, a tornado went through the fellowship building completely destroying it and breaking it away from the main body of the church.  Both were beyond repair.

Fellowship Hall under construction
After Hurricane Floyd

New Vision Pentecostal Holiness Church Today

After several months of trying to find a better parcel of land, a lot was purchased across the road from the old church and a new church was finally under construction.  Under the supervision of the then current pastor, Ray Bonner, and many more months of planning, the new building was completed.  Our first service was held on Easter Sunday of the year 2001.  June 10, 2001, the new church was dedicated.

God allowed the old to be taken away, but gave back something that was new.  God has blessed over the years, but most of all, He has blessed with His Mighty Presence.

Click here to see a detailed list of the Pastors of New Vision from 1926 to present.

P. O. Box 129,

160 Hobucken School Road

Hobucken, NC  28537

252-745-4660

Visitor Information 
Thought for the Week:

"Belief is truth held in the mind; faith is a fire in the heart".